Sunday, May 11, 2014

JULZ came to visit!!!!

While Jeff was working in Switzerland... I had my favorite sister come visit for a few days, JULZ!!! She started her grand Europe trip in Venice and I was next on the list :) 

She came in on a Saturday... so the first place we went was to our favorite market, Borough. It was very close to the train stop she came in on from the airport so it worked out perfectly. She got a bite to eat and had her first Pimms and Lemonade. I think she was hooked on the Pimms straight away :) After a bite to eat, we got some delicious cheesecake to go and headed to the flat for her to freshen up before the evening. 

First picture in London, fresh off the plane and she looks great!

That evening we went to a Spanish Tapas place with one of one my good girlfriends, Kathryn. We had some great chats and delicious food.  We went out for a cocktail afterwards in Soho. And believe it or not, we were having so much fun we forgot to take any pictures! Oh well.. we made up on the pictures the next day :) 

On Sunday, I think we covered a lot of ground and were complete tourist for a day! I hadn't done these things in a while and we had so much fun going out and about. We started the day off with going to Buckingham Palace. 

I think this is one of my favorite pictures of us together.. you can definitely tell we are sisters :) 




It was quite a busy day for London as the marathon was going on. We got to see the first person cross the line while we were at the palace too!
It only seemed natural to go along the trail and catch more of the race while seeing the sites... so next stop was Big Ben and Westmister Abby. It was one of the warmest days we have had in a while... the weather was gorgeous! 

After cheering on the runners a little, we decided it was time to take a little stroll around Reagent's Park. I have been wanting to take a bike ride around the park for awhile so I was stoked that Julie was up for it. 



A few sites around the park... 

We got a few sneak peaks into the zoo!
                     

When returning our bikes we saw a yellow one! This may not mean much to you, but it is a pretty big deal haha. Well not really... Boris (Mayor of London) sponsors the bike hire scheme. All the bikes the the blue that were riding except for 100 yellow ones. Boris changed the color of 100 of them 100 days before the Tour de France was coming through London. I was pretty excited to see it....

After the bike ride we headed over to St. Pauls. We went in for an organ recital and then headed over to this terrace I just learned that was even with the doom and had a great view of the church.  It was actually the first time that I had been in the church and it took both of our breaths away. The music was beautiful. It was the last week of a 6 week series, so there was a good crowd there. No pictures were allowed inside though. 


Once on the terrace, we saw some amazing views! 
                            

To top the perfect day off, I took Julie to our favorite Sunday Roast place and it did not disappoint. And when I say perfect, we couldn't have asked for a better day. I had so much fun hanging out with you Julie!!!! Sadly the next day I had to go to work.. but I set Julie out on some fun adventures Tower of London one day and a few museums the next. 

A few fun facts that she shared about the Tower of London... The Queen used to keep the exotic animals here until there were to many and had to be moved to the zoo; there are 6 hawks and any number other than 6 was considered to be bad luck; the crown jewels were pretty cool to see and worth the wait in the queue; and there is a good opportunity for selfies with great backgrounds :) 


This is a great photo of you Julie!

After warding around at the Tower, I took her to see a few more sites around the city. We went to Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, the M&M store, and finished off at a pub serving Thai food (a British staple!)
Trafalgar Square
                   

The next day she explored the Museum of London and British Museum. We had been to the Museum of London but not the British Museum. Seems like the Museum of London was the winner though! It was a great way to learn more about the city and some pretty interesting facts. 

That evening I had planned to take Julie to our local favorite, Havelock Tavern, but it was being remodeled. I was slightly devastated... haha.  But we headed toward the Brook Green Hotel for dinner and it turned out great. We had a great dinner catching up and just hanging out. I loved loved having you here for a few days Julie ! Lucky for me it was only a few more days until we got to hang out again in Amsterdam :) 

I can't wait for everyone else to come visit! If all goes well, we should have enough space for everyone to stay with us as well. Hink hint wink wink ;) WE LOVE VISITORS!!! 





No comments:

Post a Comment