Sunday, January 24, 2016

French Open & Versailles

Given Jeff's love for tennis, we couldn't pass up the opportunity to go to Roland Garros and see the French Open. This was not an easy task to accomplish though.... The process of getting tickets was rather tricky. You had to log into the site and then you were put into an online queue. We both logged into the queue and had over 3 hour waits to be able to buy the tickets. Needless to say we both got in and both bought tickets, so we ended up with 4 tickets for the same day! Lucky for us, the extra tickets sold in less than 2 minutes!
This was my first tennis match and I got hooked quick! 
I think it will be hard to go to a non-pro match now haha
There were lots of games and toys to play with!
I took a swing at hitting the ball and quickly realized, I am not that good! 
Surprise surprise :)
The first match we saw were the Bryan brothers for the quarter finals... 
and I really enjoyed seeing all the action of a doubles match!
The next match was Stan Wawrinka vs Roger Federer for the men's quarter finals
Too bad it wasn't a great day for Federer....
... but there was still some great tennis being played! 
And it is pretty cool we got to see the winning 2015 Champion play!!!

To tick something off my list, I was able to sweet talk Jeffrey
 into visiting Versailles before we left Paris.
In school, I felt there was always such a big hype over Versailles so I really wanted to see it. The chatter about the palace seemed to have been happening all over the place because it was super crowded, overly crowded in fact. I can only image what it would be like in peak season. 
The palace itself was really pretty, but nothing that sticks out in my mind over all the other palaces we have visited. However, the grounds and gardens were pretty awesome.
The 'backyard' was broken into 12 sections with fountains in each of the 4 quadrants. It was pretty cool to walk and get lost in them. In the summer, there is a light and fountain show that is synced to music which I can only image is a sight to see.
Stunning views everywhere you look! 
After our tour, we were able to make it to a pub to watch the Nedal vs Djokovic match and Serena Williams play.  Then we headed back to London for a short stay in a Gatwick Airport hotel before heading to Croatia. Overall, we got to see a different side of Paris and had another successful trip to Paris!  




No comments:

Post a Comment